Skip to main content

Saturdays


At last, I'm back on this blog. Welcome to Dispatches! Right away here's my first entry under a new name.

I have observed that almost every Saturday has been a bore. That realization hit very deep just this first Saturday of the year 2018. There were only few Saturdays that were fine and satisfying: the Saturdays before Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, the Saturday after a very relieving retreat of our block, and perhaps the Saturdays spent outside the house. Other than those, Saturdays are almost a bore. If it weren't for the remaining school stuff I had to do, Saturdays would likely bore me out. 

Sure, it's a good day when there's no job to head to or a class to attend to. But without anything to keep you moving as long as it's not tiresome, Saturdays are almost a bore. Just like last Saturday.

Away from computer, the Net
If I woke up earlier, Saturday would have been better—I guess. I could have gathered some courage to buy a newspaper and dive myself into it for the rest of daytime. This is what I have gone back into doing on Sundays. 

Aside from that, I could not have the laptop for the whole day. The night, nay the midnight before Saturday [morning], my mother asked for the laptop as she must have wanted to bingewatch a Korean drama being aired late nights on GMA [supposedly] News TV (if it weren't for its morning teleradyo it would be less of a News TV). She wanted to complete the episodes. And I've observed in the afternoon she was not finished yet. She continued her viewing until likely Sunday's first hours.

I confess I ended up a bit frustrated because I have not much expected such an instance. I had in mind to complete some necessary files/documents for church, which would necessitate the use of a laptop for typing and design. But I have not done it. Nonetheless, I realized then I have to extend my understanding that someone needs some respite from a tiresome work week. Therefore, I must deny myself.

Into the Word
On the other hand, at least I got into reading the Bible more. Following a certain plan for this year, there's a large chunk of reading for weekends; so I got into a large portion of it for that day, leaving only two chapters to read the next day. I have to admit it sometimes feels like a chore, but I try to see it more as a digging operation, an exhaustive search for gold among the dust and debris. And I love it when I found one or more. A blessing also lies in my former notes when I studied those passages maybe three years ago.

Besides, whether you feel like it or not, the Bible reading must go on. It's a discipline. And as of this writing I'm glad for what the discipline brings about in me—insights and realizations. The challenge now lies in applying them. 

Away from home
Nonetheless, there's something in Saturdays that still make me regard them as "fillers", if not a bore. Because I couldn't use the laptop for the day ahead, I decided to stroll along a mall. I decided to go on my own. But I ended up accompanying my mom. Again, please don't mistake me for hating it. I even appreciate it when I get to bond with my fam when the opportunity arises.

Perhaps it's just that I felt I wanted a "me-time" at that time. I wanted to get away from the heat of the home and get chill in the coolness of the mall. I also missed strolling on Booksale looking into the books and magazines for hours. I even had in mind a budget-friendly chill out—sipping coffee on Dunkin Donuts.

But it appears I could do that some other time, while on that Saturday at least I got out and walked and savored some outside air and had my eyes see the spacious Robinsons and the crowded SM. The strolling was still something to appreciate because I don't have any clue yet when we would get together again as son and parents.

A lot of options
I just hope my Saturdays will be less of a bore, the Bible readings be less of a chore, and myself be less frustrated. I'm now thinking of how I could have less boring, rather boreless Saturdays.

Maybe read a book. Of course I should! I guess weekends are the only times I could catch up on things I missed because this last sem (saying last by the grace of God) keeps me busy. Time for me to get a book from my stockroom full of books most of which I haven't read since I bought them!

And speaking of reading, I guess I should buy a newspaper on Saturdays as well. Being a Comm. Arts student brings me that motivation to be updated on current events, and maybe on people's views. And youth-oriented sections are published on Saturdays, aren't they? 

And of course, the Bible reading. Make the most out of weekends for catch-up. A deeper digging, as I read it from Desiring God. I don't know how it would go, but let's see.

Listen to the radio. Monitor the stations. Oh yes. There are programs and DJs only airing on weekends, like the youth-oriented program on DZRH, or the "Cabinet Report" on Radyo Pilipinas 1, or the oldies program of veteran mediaman Eddie Ilarde on DZBB, or the veteran jocks on 104.3 FM2 and Retro 105.9 such as North Andrew, Jeremiah Junior, Joey Pizza, and The Triggerman. If I want to learn to be a DJ, I'm convinced I must listen to veteran jocks more often.

Go to the mall. Good with parents. Good as well if alone. Yes, the introvert that I am! A frustrated bookhunter that I am, I must as well stroll on that Booksale store in SM. As novelist Jane Smiley said, "Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book." I feel the same.

If available, I must as well go to Manila and visit National Museum, or the Planetarium. Maybe watch a film on Cinema '76 or Cinema Centenario. But I better save money first. Oh, wishful thinking.

Maybe have a bingewatching of sermons by John Piper or John McArthur or the late R.C. Sproul. I've been wanting to watch them, but I guess I have to make time for some valuable media consumption.

I might as well watch a K-Drama. I'm an avid listener of Kpop. I want to learn Korean language and culture. I might as well have a look at their media.

And maybe watch an old British series, since I'm much interested in TV history of UK in my younger years thanks to Internet and TVARK. Maybe the adaptation of the book The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole. Perhaps those police series, The Bill or Z Cars. Or maybe their version of our S.O.C.O. or ImbestigadorCrimewatch UK.

Might as well return to watching S.O.C.O. as well.

Perhaps play a game. I just wonder who to play with. Playing alone is fine, but it's exciting to play with another human being. Game of the Generals, Chess, name it. Even teach me DOTA.

And I guess it's also time for me to write more. I guess I'll have more time to write not as a chore but as something I love to do on Saturdays. Come on, I'm hopefully reviving this blog, so I might as well write more and get used to it.

Writing all these, I've realized Saturdays must not be a bore. I really just hope I'll wake up to better 7th days, wake up with cheer and optimism, have in mind things to do whether online or offline. May I make the most out of weekends (and actually each day) God blesses me—and all of us—to live our lives.

Saturday, be not a bore anymore. 

Comments

  1. Want a list of good �� �� �� k-dramas?������

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Worldofaclever! Sorry I only got to see this now. Sure, why not? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts. Go ahead and comment!

Popular posts from this blog

My Tracks of The Year: 2023

There is a segment on a radio show airing on mid-mornings on BBC Radio 2 in the United Kingdom, where for an entire week (Monday to Friday) a celebrity guest or a well-known personality shares his or her favorite songs, most of which have defined one's life and career. Hence, the title " Tracks of My Years ." I find it a very interesting concept for radio, since songs tell much of one's journey through life. And even in just a span of a year, there's much to tell about someone in songs. With that, I have thought to put a twist to the aforementioned concept and share with you those tracks that mark moments, circumstances, and sentiments throughout the soon passing year. I got many of them from my Spotify Wrapped playlist , but I also selected some within the wide range of what I discovered this year. I'm delighted to share with you "My Tracks of the Year" for 2023. (Scroll past the following Spotify playlist as we go through each track.) 1. Through T

Akalain Mo 'Yon?: Reflecting on five years at work

The last time I have written for this blog is back in 2020, early during the lockdown, and I even at that time I have lost the appetite to sustain the posts. There were a lot of things that happened since then that could have prompted me to return to this blog, but it took five years of a career as a Special Features Writer, then Assistant Editor, then Editor, to bring me back to this blog; and I'm not even sure I can return with another blog post afterwards. For this post, I share my thoughts about those five years at work, which I'm still amazed I had the patience to endure . I wrote all that I could reflect about those five years. I feel that even those aren't enough. But to anybody who's reading this, thank you for your time. — Akalain mo 'yon? That's what I say to myself in every work anniversary so far. But this time, I think I shouldn't stop with that question. It was five years ago when I started writing for a living, typing in front of a computer a

Adrian The Silent

Source: http://www.katarinaforss.com/img/silence.jpg I know it in myself. I cannot deny it. Many people, especially very close friends in high school, see me as a talkative (at the least) and engaging guy. By timing and exposure, I get to speak and talk and converse among people. Yet, many still have an impression of me as the opposite, and I don't deny that. At many circumstances, I'm silent. Quiet. Static. Loner. But, silent is the best term I'll accept. Perhaps this is one of my marks of being a writer; a mark making my desire for writing really fit to me; perhaps the reason why I'm inclined to make my voice heard through written words rather than spoken ones. But, believe me, I want to break that silence. I've already did that before, but I want to do it again. I seek to break the barriers that are still there, and have more connections while still being myself. I've recently heard and learned that it is said that there are 4 personalities in general: sangui