Skip to main content

The Exit (2 of 2)

The first part was just posted two days ago. Here's the continuation.



After our candles were lit, it was the skies that turned bright. Beautiful fireworks colored the dark skies above us, themed after the movie The Greatest Showman. It began with the famous hypebeast anthem by Ex Batallion, which I admit I enjoyed and I thought it would go through the chorus! But it was just an intro. 






The music and the pyrotechnics are picturesque, in tune to the movie's soundtrack which many in the crowd are singing by heart. I even admit I got almost-teary eyed at one point. But that halted. In fact, my wishful thinking was fulfilled at the end of this wonderful show! A remix of Momoland's "Bboom Bboom" was played as the fireworks' finale! Just so happy to witness this spectacular, with a simple surprise to wrap it all up.





Departure
Finally, we're all set for leaving the Arch. Yet we're even the ones pending to leave the area, so it took long before we walked towards the Arch. While chairs were initially picked up and stacked up, we were still waiting for our turn. Out of boredom, I talked to classmates, seemingly finding out their energies beginning to loom because it's already 9:00 pm and we're not moving yet. I also blew bubbles, trying to make a mini-spectacular out of it.


By about past 9:30, we're finally moving. From the field, we crossed towards the Plaza Mayor, then through that path to the Arch. It was a bit slow, but it's getting a bit more exciting. We'll finally depart that historic structure which welcomed us four years ago. The hype rises again as we got nearer. Cheering resounds around me, and I gradually joined in.






Then, there we are, a few steps facing the Arch. We weren't that complete as a block, unfortunately, but we who were there (three to four squads I guess) are about to approach the Arch when we're finally given the signal. The drums kept on beating. The cheers were elevating, as well as some of my friends' cameras. Someone pauses our running, until he gave us the signal.

Like bracing for a sprint in an arena, we're geared up to reach our college's finish line. And all of a sudden, we were freed.

Lift off!

It's a sudden run, a sudden departure. I can see the Arch enveloping us, like Santa Rosa's arch saying "Thank You!" and Binan's saying "Welcome!". Like an OFW finally reaching NAIA and reunited to his/her family. Like cyclist El Joshua Cariño winning the Le Tour de Filipinas weeks ago.

I found it a bit awkward I raised my arms like that of a cyclist. I should have raised an arm like that Freddie Mercury meme, or that final frame in The Breakfast Club

But hey, it is finished. We're done.

"And that's the way it is," said Walter Cronkite every time he concluded the broadcast of CBS Evening News from the 60's to the early 80's. That's how I describe summarized this day in summary.



Homebound
I even saw people gathered at the front of the Arch. They must have been waiting for their friends, classmates, org-mates, and/or children to pass the historical marker. I witness people congratulating fellow graduates, cheering for them like meeting someone in the airport's arrival area.

If my parents were there, that could have been the scenario. I wish I could have brought them there, but I had in mind that they had to wait for me somewhere for a very long time. I wish I could have invited them so that at least I won't worry about my dinner as well as my commute back home. That would have been a good time.

The excitement continued at a steady level for some, but later on it all ebbed away as the night came to an end. Likewise, I gradually parted ways from my friends. I found some again and decided to join them. But when I found out they won't eat, I said "I guess mauna na ako." I was a bit confused where to go possibly because I was hungry and have not had a dinner yet. Since it's past 10:30, I decided to find out if there's a UV in España to drive me back to Buendia.

As I walked along the long path (which I should have done earlier), I saw some classmates again. They embraced me because that might be the last time we could (but the last time was really at graduation). 4CA3 will indeed miss each other. I parted ways once again.

I finally found a UV right in front of the gate as I left the campus that has gone a bit quiet after all the roar. I entered the UV and played something for my ears as the van goes its way. I decided to make it a slow-down playlist since I'm going home, and it's an evening and the road's so much clear it will be a fast ride.

I played one of those mellow songs I love from Momoland (which has more to offer than "Bboom Bboom"). It's "What Planet Are You From?", then I followed it up with another one from them, "Love Sick", which I really find worth playing while riding on a bus. I guess I pressed many times towards the next song until Twice's awesome ballad "Turtle" played. Then, it was Blackpink's turn with "Stay". I just found it fit to have a senti playlist. Besides I'm tired. 

At Buendia, I decided to take a long walk to 7-Eleven because I haven't bought a paper to record that day. Unfortunately, I failed to buy a Manila Times or Philippine Star earlier. I settled with a Manila Bulletin which showed a striking masthead.

I returned to JAC Liner, finally heading back home. And I did carrying a bag full of memories. Now that's a legitimate reason why my bag's big and heavy.

And I saved for the journey back one of Charlie Puth's new songs that gives so much feels—"If You Leave Me Now". My senti playlist continued when my phone played the beautiful finale to Twice's twicetagram—"Good Night, Sleep Tight". What a calming lullaby as the bus smoothly and swiftly rides back home for the night.

And that's the way it is. Thursday, May 24, 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Tracks of The Year: 2023

There is a segment on a radio show airing on mid-mornings on BBC Radio 2 in the United Kingdom, where for an entire week (Monday to Friday) a celebrity guest or a well-known personality shares his or her favorite songs, most of which have defined one's life and career. Hence, the title " Tracks of My Years ." I find it a very interesting concept for radio, since songs tell much of one's journey through life. And even in just a span of a year, there's much to tell about someone in songs. With that, I have thought to put a twist to the aforementioned concept and share with you those tracks that mark moments, circumstances, and sentiments throughout the soon passing year. I got many of them from my Spotify Wrapped playlist , but I also selected some within the wide range of what I discovered this year. I'm delighted to share with you "My Tracks of the Year" for 2023. (Scroll past the following Spotify playlist as we go through each track.) 1. Through T

Akalain Mo 'Yon?: Reflecting on five years at work

The last time I have written for this blog is back in 2020, early during the lockdown, and I even at that time I have lost the appetite to sustain the posts. There were a lot of things that happened since then that could have prompted me to return to this blog, but it took five years of a career as a Special Features Writer, then Assistant Editor, then Editor, to bring me back to this blog; and I'm not even sure I can return with another blog post afterwards. For this post, I share my thoughts about those five years at work, which I'm still amazed I had the patience to endure . I wrote all that I could reflect about those five years. I feel that even those aren't enough. But to anybody who's reading this, thank you for your time. — Akalain mo 'yon? That's what I say to myself in every work anniversary so far. But this time, I think I shouldn't stop with that question. It was five years ago when I started writing for a living, typing in front of a computer a

Adrian The Silent

Source: http://www.katarinaforss.com/img/silence.jpg I know it in myself. I cannot deny it. Many people, especially very close friends in high school, see me as a talkative (at the least) and engaging guy. By timing and exposure, I get to speak and talk and converse among people. Yet, many still have an impression of me as the opposite, and I don't deny that. At many circumstances, I'm silent. Quiet. Static. Loner. But, silent is the best term I'll accept. Perhaps this is one of my marks of being a writer; a mark making my desire for writing really fit to me; perhaps the reason why I'm inclined to make my voice heard through written words rather than spoken ones. But, believe me, I want to break that silence. I've already did that before, but I want to do it again. I seek to break the barriers that are still there, and have more connections while still being myself. I've recently heard and learned that it is said that there are 4 personalities in general: sangui