Skip to main content

Momoland more than Bboom Bboom, more than Nancy (2 of 2)

You might have noticed Nancy first on their MV for Bboom, being at the center.
But do you also see (L-R): Yeonwoo, Taeha, Jane, Daisy, JooE, Ahin, Hyebin, and Nayun?
Source: Soompi.com

This is the second of a two-part blog. Click here for the first part.

More than Nancy
Their other music is not only the thing worth looking into, but also the other members of Momoland. I'm writing this not because my biases are Yeonwoo and Nayun (and Jane too). Not also because I don't find Nancy beautiful or talented (because she's both). But because Momoland, like any other group, is a collaborative effort. Unlike other groups though, names might be hard to recall for groups with more than five members, unless you're a Once (Twice fan) or an Army (BTS fan). But in my case, the names shown in Bboom's MV has been a good help. It took less effort to recall. Might as well further argue that Bboom's have been a good intro to the group (although their first album should have been).

Guys and girls who covered Bboom's hand-centered choreography on the chorus usually put the blame on Nancy. I beg to disagree. It's not Nancy's fault, it's Momoland's! All the nine have put before the public a good performance.


JooE, while being funny in light moments of the group (as one can see in videos), have pulled off a good rap part in Bboom, together with Daisy (one of the group's English-speaking members). 

Ahin, another English-speaking member, could sing well. And she's pretty in long hair. 

Jane, while a bit seemingly quiet, dances well in her Union Jack top in Bboom. And she has stood out in their latest comeback, from their teaser photos to Baam's MV

Hyebin appears to be another happy pill aside from JooE, from her "Wow, wow" parts in Bboom to how she responds to questions when they were guests in Arirang's After School Club

Taeha, one of the two additions to the group since "Freeze" (the other is Daisy), does great in belting high vocals, and I hope to see her stand out more since Bboom haven't much showed her enough, as shown in one analysis of their MV

Nayun and Yeonwoo look cute in their past MV's, but they have also stood out in their special ways in Bboom. For Nayun, it was her dabbing. For Yeonwoo, what stands out to me more was her charm. Yes, the bridge must have captivated our eyes, but I want to get past that. The way she carries herself on stage was what sank in. No fancam had to show that.


And another thing that must have contributed to my choice of bias, as well as my respect for such performers. It was a post on Facebook which showed Yeonwoo performing with the rest of the group, while an eye patch was attached on her face. She reportedly had a "stye", that's why she had the patch. But despite that, she still joined the group in performing. Show must go on regardless of that. That's worth appreciating. Their industry also has a human side beneath the glamour, the beauty, and the talent. And that's something we can empathize with.

That's why I'm convinced why Momoland deserves to be looked as a whole, and not singling Nancy out. Fellow fans like me could agree that despite having a bias in a group, they still appreciate the group as a whole and give them all the credit. Either it's Jennie or Rose or Lisa or Jisoo who is your bias in Blackpink, you cannot disregard the effort all of them four put together. The same could be said of the five in RV, or the nine in Twice, or the Fab Four called The Beatles, or what used to be six in Linkin Park. The same could also be said of Golden State Warriors even if Curry gets more spotlight, even in Cavs when LeBron (before moving to Lakers) is said to have carried them all through the recent NBA Finals.

Beneath the performances
And there's another thing to say about Nancy being the focus. I cringe whenever she (or Yeonwoo) is commented for their physical feature on their behinds, which was manifested thru fancams. If it were not for their tight outfits! Are we not after the talent? Then we should be. Netizens have also been alarmed about this and were worried for the group. I hope their management has dealt with it. And I guess that's also the reason why I appreciated more their performance in formal attire in an episode of Music Bank. Their talent is what matters. Being praised for their buttocks would (snap!) belong to one's cringe folder.

I looked forward to their new release, and I hoped that it is promising that it could show more of them which could wow audiences. Now that "Baam" was released, it may have results different from what Bboom produced. But it is still a nice comeback for them.

Furthermore, they have been facing some controversies, which I believe are not worthy of jumping into conclusions, because it's just so quick and easy to judge. One of these is when in one episode of Music Core, Nancy is said to have a "strange" face upon another Blackpink victory in the charts. Then, at the end of the program, where the custom is performers bowing down to each other, JooE appears to have left the stage and did not bow at anybody. It gained much flak, and it appears they are in hot waters. 

I hope they will surpass all these, and that this young but still promising group gain more success. And I hope everyone will be credited.

See how I've been rooting for another group. I'm now a fan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Tracks of The Year: 2023

There is a segment on a radio show airing on mid-mornings on BBC Radio 2 in the United Kingdom, where for an entire week (Monday to Friday) a celebrity guest or a well-known personality shares his or her favorite songs, most of which have defined one's life and career. Hence, the title " Tracks of My Years ." I find it a very interesting concept for radio, since songs tell much of one's journey through life. And even in just a span of a year, there's much to tell about someone in songs. With that, I have thought to put a twist to the aforementioned concept and share with you those tracks that mark moments, circumstances, and sentiments throughout the soon passing year. I got many of them from my Spotify Wrapped playlist , but I also selected some within the wide range of what I discovered this year. I'm delighted to share with you "My Tracks of the Year" for 2023. (Scroll past the following Spotify playlist as we go through each track.) 1. Through T

Akalain Mo 'Yon?: Reflecting on five years at work

The last time I have written for this blog is back in 2020, early during the lockdown, and I even at that time I have lost the appetite to sustain the posts. There were a lot of things that happened since then that could have prompted me to return to this blog, but it took five years of a career as a Special Features Writer, then Assistant Editor, then Editor, to bring me back to this blog; and I'm not even sure I can return with another blog post afterwards. For this post, I share my thoughts about those five years at work, which I'm still amazed I had the patience to endure . I wrote all that I could reflect about those five years. I feel that even those aren't enough. But to anybody who's reading this, thank you for your time. — Akalain mo 'yon? That's what I say to myself in every work anniversary so far. But this time, I think I shouldn't stop with that question. It was five years ago when I started writing for a living, typing in front of a computer a

Adrian The Silent

Source: http://www.katarinaforss.com/img/silence.jpg I know it in myself. I cannot deny it. Many people, especially very close friends in high school, see me as a talkative (at the least) and engaging guy. By timing and exposure, I get to speak and talk and converse among people. Yet, many still have an impression of me as the opposite, and I don't deny that. At many circumstances, I'm silent. Quiet. Static. Loner. But, silent is the best term I'll accept. Perhaps this is one of my marks of being a writer; a mark making my desire for writing really fit to me; perhaps the reason why I'm inclined to make my voice heard through written words rather than spoken ones. But, believe me, I want to break that silence. I've already did that before, but I want to do it again. I seek to break the barriers that are still there, and have more connections while still being myself. I've recently heard and learned that it is said that there are 4 personalities in general: sangui