Skip to main content

Sounds of Japan


As I have just shared in my recent blog posts here, I am an avid listener of Korean pop music. I'm even a fan of at least 3 groups. But that does not mean that Kpop is the only music I have my ears on.

Before Korea's music came to my ears, it was even the sounds from another neighbor which I discovered and listened to. I have been finding a breather from the Kpop music that's been on loop in my playlist. And so I want to share with you music from Japan I have listened to these past years and weeks. Japanese music shows much talent as progressive as their building of appliances, electronics, and other good products.



1. Yellow Magic Orchestra



Let me begin with this trio that is now considered as an electronic music pioneer worldwide. This is the first Japanese band I did follow once I discovered their curiosity-raising name among the list of electronic music artists on Wikipedia. Right from their eponymous first album, YMO has indeed made a mark in this kind of genre, influencing a lot of artists who are into synths, keyboards, and everything electronic. The album cover is even so futuristic in their time.




Their discography has an array of compositions to dig into which shows the talent and skill of its members: Ryuichi Sakamoto, Haruomi Hosono, and Yukihiro Takahashi. They're great musicians both as YMO and as solo talents. They made use of something that could be considered Western and innovated something that's theirs—an Oriental kind of electronic. I highly recommend that you dig into their creations.


2. Tatsuro Yamashita




Next we have solo artists which I stumbled upon, thanks to the genres called vaporwave and future funk. Tracks from these genres employ songs which usually come from 80's pop, in particular Japanese songs which are usually categorized as city pop (yes, that's a genre). Songs which evoke of the urban life. Songs fit for the night ride through modern thoroughfares. Tracks perfect to be played on a Sony Hi-Fi component while you stare at buildings along a skyline.



At least that's what city pop depicts. And that's evident in the sounds of Tatsuro Yamashita. Skylar Spence (formerly known as Saint Pepsi) sampled Yamashita's song "Love Talkin' (Honey It's You)", speeding it up to create a very funky remix that sounds like a soundtrack to a disco show on GMA7 in the 70's.

During my fourth year I have dwelt much into Tatsuro's albums, including two which sound like an aircheck in a radio station recorded from a Japan-made quality tape recorder (Come Along and Come Along 2). His music is just so easy and relaxing. Tatsuro's discography is an essential in Japanese pop.


3. Junko Yagami



My third pick also has a song used by another vaporwave/future funk artist, Yung Bae, which was sped up as well to make a bouncy track.

But listening to "Bay City" is just so good it made me sing the tunes. Yagami's voice is as pretty as she looks in the album. This nice combination of her voice with funky instrumentals is just so reminiscent of the eighties music I learned to delight myself in long before I have LSS over Kpop. Another album of hers entitled Communication shows another talent's great command of English. The title track is something that could have surfaced Billboard charts in the 80's. "Imagination" is also a good listen.




4. Mariya Takeuchi



Mariya Takeuchi is another female singer who I think is a hallmark in Japanese pop. She has made a lot of songs, a big part of which were collaborations with Tatsuro. They are not only colleagues in the industry. They are husband and wife. What perfect harmony.




Her beautiful voice complements the harmony of the instruments. Her music is also reminiscent of easy listening, of love songs and even smooth jazz. "Plastic Love" is a classic. And she sings English songs very well. Her albums Miss M and Variety are essentials.




In fact, I realized one of her songs was remade by a Filipino artist! When I stumbled upon "Single Again", I found out that Rodel Naval's "Lumayo Ka Man Sa Akin" has its origins in the Takeuchi.


5. Casiopea



We now go with jazz acts. Japanese jazz is something worth listening to. My classmate even likes the jazz score in the Season 2 of the anime Gundam Thunderbolt.

First of my jazz recommends is Casiopea. I discovered them from listening to vaporwave as well, in particular a track by Macross 82-99. "Take Me" is another cool and cozy composition reminiscent of attending some formal function, or at least strolling a less spacious mall.




I even found out that one of their tracks was used before by a radio station here as an intro for a 15-minute newscast. DZSR, now known as Radyo Pilipinas 2, used to have a quarter-hour-long Sports News Roundup, which started by the first seconds of "Black Joke", signaled by the blend of fast guitar riffs and drum shuffles.

This cool band is a good listen, especially when you just want some easy background.




6. T-Square



This ageless group is another amazing talent who can rock with impact as well as serenade with almost-romantic melodies.

Most of their songs have been background music to sporting events, including car racing. But there is much from their large volume of compositions that are just so gentle to one's ears.




I bumped into T-Square also because of vaporwave, and Macross. "Samurai Metropolis" is a splendid composition that sounds upbeat as well as easy. Something like an intro to a daytime version of a late night talk show. "Knight's Song" is another profound piece that blends dramatic chords with racing-inspired flows and energetic bass thumps.

I call this jazz fusion band ageless because of their productivity. They have compiled a vast discography spanning decades since they were formed originally as The Square in 1978. Their recent album, entitled Rebirth (2017), shows them alive and kicking with both pumped-up pieces ("Rebirth") and cooled-down arrangements ("Little Violet"). Their 44th original album, City Coaster, was just released last April.


7. Ryo Fukui



Thanks to YouTube recommending me to listen to this, I got into the fine talent of Ryo Fukui. This jazz pianist has resurfaced into my YouTube recommendations thru his 1976 album Scenery.




It's amazing to know that Ryo is a self-taught pianist. And look at his work. It's the fruit of such effort. Scenery nicely ties up finger-tapping compositions and melancholy-induced tracks.

8. Takuya Kuroda



This is also a result of a clickbait on YT. This Japan-based musician has been making waves in the New York scene, as well as in the algorithms of YouTube users who are lovers of fine music.




His brass is a great element to the compositions in his album, Rising Son, where the tracks make his trumpet talent the centerpiece among the awesome background of a fusion of jazz and hip-hop from his fellow musicians.


I hope you could try these music soon. They're either new territory to you or a great breather from the usual playlist. There's no harm in trying new sounds. You may even find something good from doing so.

Words are even limited to describe these music, so let the music speak for itself.

Have you listened to Japanese music before? Are you a fan of Jpop? Have any recommendations for me to listen to? Go ahead and comment on this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Tracks of The Year: 2023

There is a segment on a radio show airing on mid-mornings on BBC Radio 2 in the United Kingdom, where for an entire week (Monday to Friday) a celebrity guest or a well-known personality shares his or her favorite songs, most of which have defined one's life and career. Hence, the title " Tracks of My Years ." I find it a very interesting concept for radio, since songs tell much of one's journey through life. And even in just a span of a year, there's much to tell about someone in songs. With that, I have thought to put a twist to the aforementioned concept and share with you those tracks that mark moments, circumstances, and sentiments throughout the soon passing year. I got many of them from my Spotify Wrapped playlist , but I also selected some within the wide range of what I discovered this year. I'm delighted to share with you "My Tracks of the Year" for 2023. (Scroll past the following Spotify playlist as we go through each track.) 1. Through T

Akalain Mo 'Yon?: Reflecting on five years at work

The last time I have written for this blog is back in 2020, early during the lockdown, and I even at that time I have lost the appetite to sustain the posts. There were a lot of things that happened since then that could have prompted me to return to this blog, but it took five years of a career as a Special Features Writer, then Assistant Editor, then Editor, to bring me back to this blog; and I'm not even sure I can return with another blog post afterwards. For this post, I share my thoughts about those five years at work, which I'm still amazed I had the patience to endure . I wrote all that I could reflect about those five years. I feel that even those aren't enough. But to anybody who's reading this, thank you for your time. — Akalain mo 'yon? That's what I say to myself in every work anniversary so far. But this time, I think I shouldn't stop with that question. It was five years ago when I started writing for a living, typing in front of a computer a

Adrian The Silent

Source: http://www.katarinaforss.com/img/silence.jpg I know it in myself. I cannot deny it. Many people, especially very close friends in high school, see me as a talkative (at the least) and engaging guy. By timing and exposure, I get to speak and talk and converse among people. Yet, many still have an impression of me as the opposite, and I don't deny that. At many circumstances, I'm silent. Quiet. Static. Loner. But, silent is the best term I'll accept. Perhaps this is one of my marks of being a writer; a mark making my desire for writing really fit to me; perhaps the reason why I'm inclined to make my voice heard through written words rather than spoken ones. But, believe me, I want to break that silence. I've already did that before, but I want to do it again. I seek to break the barriers that are still there, and have more connections while still being myself. I've recently heard and learned that it is said that there are 4 personalities in general: sangui