Skip to main content

More of Momoland in "Show Me"

Picture from: K-PLAZA.com

Momoland's original line-up returns with fifth mini-album


It seems that Kpop is having its own "March Madness" as the industry's artists are amusing fans anew with fresh material. The month witnessed the debut of Big Hit Entertainment's newest boy group, TXT. IZ*ONE, meanwhile, had their rendition of "Rise" by EDM producer Jonas Blue released last March 7. Last March 14 four-piece Mamamoo returned with "gogobebe", while Red Velvet's youngest member, Yeri, launched her first solo "Dear Diary". Other groups like KARD and Blackpink have announced their comebacks set later within this month.

And as we reach the latter half of the month, MLD Entertainment's girl group Momoland joins these artists in going back to the spotlight.

Returning sans Daisy, Taeha
After gaining much attention from their singles "Bboom Bboom" and "Baam", Momoland excites Merries (the fanbase) with their first comeback for 2019. However, the supposedly 9-member group returns without its two latest recruits, Daisy and Taeha.

In a statement, MLD Entertainment, Momoland's agency, said "It was judged that it would be best if MOMOLAND members Taeha and Daisy take a break from this album due to health and personal reasons...The two members will return for the release of the next album." The reasons, however, are not that specific. 

While fans speculate that this has something to do with Daisy allegedly dating Yunhyeong of YG's iKON, Momoland told the press in their showcase for their latest comeback last Wednesday "They couldn't promote because their treatment didn't work out with the promotion period." Still quite vague.

Hyebin, whom I later realized is Momoland's leader, also shared: "It is unfortunate and my mind is not well at how we came to promote as 7. But we will show a good side of us during this promotion."

Daisy, one of the group's rappers and English-speaking members, and Taeha, a Produce 101 contestant before becoming one of Momoland's vocal belters, were added to the seven winners of the reality show Finding Momoland. After debuting in "Wonderful Love" back in 2017, the two have gained more attention in their two biggest hits to date as they have taken significant roles in the group. No wonder they are missed at such an exciting comeback.

Week-long teasing
For its first comeback this year, the 7-piece (for now) launched its fifth mini-album, Show Me last March 20.

A fresh Momoland has been apparent in their teaser photos, which were released last March 14 to 16, a week before the comeback. The stunning looks the group donned on their photos made me make a guess about the concept. 

One set of photos showed the group in black and white outfits, with some of them wearing checkerboard patterns. Another has the group wearing yellow outfits, just fitting each member as it did in the earlier photos.  Looks like a racing concept, right? Yet, it's just simply a fresh look for Momoland. 

We are seeing new looks from the seven, with some of them standing out. Hyebin has a reddish fuzzy hair that just suits her. Yeonwoo keeps on standing out as the group's main visual as she crowns a short blonde hair. JooE, with a slightly colored hair, balances cute and mature. And Jane, in long gray hair, continues to unravel more of her beauty. 

"I'm So Hot"
Show Me contains 5 songs (and an instrumental), which were teased just recently in a highlight medley uploaded last March 18.

The title track was first made a mystery until it was revealed as "I'm So Hot". I find the track sounding very different from their recent singles. "Bboom" and "Baam" showed cute and mature concepts, while "I'm So Hot" steps a level higher, leaning more to a mature look. We're in for a fresh Momoland this time.


Just like the previous title tracks, "I'm So Hot" has a brass fanfare that will stick into our ears for some time. It's jazzy, electropop vibe reminds me of "We Speak No Americano" by Yolanda Be Cool and even "Candyman" by Christina Aguilera. 

It appears, though, that Momoland changed the song's structure a bit. Opening lines nicely sung by Nancy are laid over a trap-like sound, which is a staple in Daisy's and JooE's rap lines. The rap part stays in the middle, with Hyebin serving as an apt companion to JooE, who sings her lines very well. Yet, there's a different kind of closure to the song, not needing any bridge to the song's big finish—just like how Jonas Blue's "Rise" sounds throughout.

I also notice a more evenly distributed line, if only because of a reduced line-up. Yeonwoo's parts show she can charm viewers, as she has done before, without having to be sultry. Moreover, while we miss Taeha's vocal prowess, Jane exceptionally elevates her vocal talent throughout this single, highlighted by response-type lines at the song's second half. Worth noting as well are Nayun and Ahin standing out in their lines, especially Nayun after the rap part and Ahin in the refrain.

The music video for "I'm So Hot" is also impressive. It brings us to a school bus where a group of school girls are in some sort of a dream where they anticipate and enjoy what appears to be the fame and glamour of being celebrity stars. Hot, in a sense.

The song's choreography is also worth appreciating. While the simple chorus steps still remain, their dance routine now appears more original and more authentic. It is something to look forward to as they grace the stage of chart shows on Korean TV (they already did in Mnet's M Countdown last Thursday). 

Another thing to look forward to is the wardrobe they will wear in each performance, whether that black and white wardrobe (which they already wore in the "comeback stage"), or the orange outfits in their showcase last Wednesday, or the blue set they put on in their MV, or simply the school girl outfits. (They had yellow outfits in KBS' Music Bank yesterday)

Show Me
Coupled with the energetic "I'm So Hot" is a mellow song, "Falling U", the second track in Show Me. The sample in the highlight medley hints at a further return to the ballads the group have beautifully sung in Welcome to MOMOLAND and Freeze!. And indeed, Momoland is back with an easy listening song beautifully laced with a breezy acoustic instrumental (gotta love that guitar!).

The rest of the album feature cheerful bops to complement the title track. "Light Up" has a retro-fied background that almost has the vibes of "Very Very" (from their previous mini-album Fun To The World), but leaning more to a sound akin to Wonder Girls' "I Feel You". 

Meanwhile, "Holiday" and "What You Want" are finely structured, with openings and closures that I find satisfying. "Holiday" has an enjoyable tropical vibe, with a noteworthy funky bass in the middle. "What You Want" shares some similarity with "Holiday" with great drops and beats that are reminiscent of the sound of groups like KARD or Twice (in summer albums). Yet, this last track stands out as the great bop track that could be a B-side to "I'm So Hot", as much as "Fly" to "Bboom" in Great!. The instrumentals in these last two songs in Show Me are just, to use current slang, so 'dope'. Amazing production there.

A fresh Momoland has just returned with quite a throwback to the original line-up. Show Me is set to showcase more of Momoland, continually growing up from the cute persona they started in their initial releases.

Daisy and Taeha are nevertheless missed, since both have been holding significant parts in Momoland's songs and routines. With the ongoing success Momoland will hopefully earn (especially from consistent Merries) may we see the two share with that success soon, and also make their marks in future comebacks.

Fave Picks: "I'm So Hot"; "Falling U"; "What You Want"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Tracks of The Year: 2023

There is a segment on a radio show airing on mid-mornings on BBC Radio 2 in the United Kingdom, where for an entire week (Monday to Friday) a celebrity guest or a well-known personality shares his or her favorite songs, most of which have defined one's life and career. Hence, the title " Tracks of My Years ." I find it a very interesting concept for radio, since songs tell much of one's journey through life. And even in just a span of a year, there's much to tell about someone in songs. With that, I have thought to put a twist to the aforementioned concept and share with you those tracks that mark moments, circumstances, and sentiments throughout the soon passing year. I got many of them from my Spotify Wrapped playlist , but I also selected some within the wide range of what I discovered this year. I'm delighted to share with you "My Tracks of the Year" for 2023. (Scroll past the following Spotify playlist as we go through each track.) 1. Through T

Akalain Mo 'Yon?: Reflecting on five years at work

The last time I have written for this blog is back in 2020, early during the lockdown, and I even at that time I have lost the appetite to sustain the posts. There were a lot of things that happened since then that could have prompted me to return to this blog, but it took five years of a career as a Special Features Writer, then Assistant Editor, then Editor, to bring me back to this blog; and I'm not even sure I can return with another blog post afterwards. For this post, I share my thoughts about those five years at work, which I'm still amazed I had the patience to endure . I wrote all that I could reflect about those five years. I feel that even those aren't enough. But to anybody who's reading this, thank you for your time. — Akalain mo 'yon? That's what I say to myself in every work anniversary so far. But this time, I think I shouldn't stop with that question. It was five years ago when I started writing for a living, typing in front of a computer a

Adrian The Silent

Source: http://www.katarinaforss.com/img/silence.jpg I know it in myself. I cannot deny it. Many people, especially very close friends in high school, see me as a talkative (at the least) and engaging guy. By timing and exposure, I get to speak and talk and converse among people. Yet, many still have an impression of me as the opposite, and I don't deny that. At many circumstances, I'm silent. Quiet. Static. Loner. But, silent is the best term I'll accept. Perhaps this is one of my marks of being a writer; a mark making my desire for writing really fit to me; perhaps the reason why I'm inclined to make my voice heard through written words rather than spoken ones. But, believe me, I want to break that silence. I've already did that before, but I want to do it again. I seek to break the barriers that are still there, and have more connections while still being myself. I've recently heard and learned that it is said that there are 4 personalities in general: sangui