Skip to main content

Blackpink returns, still slays

Source: Blackpink's YouTube page, also on Fobres
After a very very long wait, the remarkable YG female group of four Blackpink returned with the launch of their album Square Up and of their music video for their carrier single "Ddu-Du-Ddu-Du". The group has matured, yet their comeback was something worth the wait. When before they were Playing with Fire, now they returned "tigeowo [hot] like Fire."






Astounding MV
I should have started with listening to the audio alone. But starting with the visual was not bad at all. Both have shown that Blackpink has come back with a loud bang. Visual-wise, "Ddu" caught me in amazement. It has a lot to tell, perhaps because it has a jam-packed of mise-en-scene, those visual elements comprising what you see in a motion picture. 

Jennie and Lisa slay as rappers, but Jennie leveled up her 'angas' this time around, especially in the rap after the first chorus. The other two, Jisoo and Rosé, have shown again that they are great vocals. Jisoo, my bias, carries herself so great, be it in holding an umbrella while in black dress or donning a pink bangs while intently slipping her feet. Rose, meanwhile, has stood so much prettier, especially in those first lines she sang while standing on a pedestal. Cinematography and editing must have done great work here. Nevertheless, the four perfectly weave their choreography.

Source: Wikipedia

A sure-fire comeback
They are turning fiercer, as much as the message of Square Up is. Their sound has tuned up to a stronger tone than Ddu's predecessor, "As If It's Your Last"; and this shows how the group has been growing up. All the four songs (I wonder why only four) are good head-bopping tracks which blended pop and hip-hop, the Western drop and the Oriental tunes. "Forever Young" and "See U Later" unfold in a way that is very much unexpected it will only leave you saying "Wow!".

But of all the four songs, and while "Ddu" is a good LSS, my pick is "Really", for being an easier listen and a cleaner lyric. I have to admit that while Square Up is promising, I still miss the vibe of "As If". 

But to find out a very different Blackpink is not that bad at all. They have gained much success as of this writing, gaining a record-high 200 million views on YouTube, hitting a "certified all-kill" in Korean charts, and even reaching high rankings in the US' Billboard and UK's Official Singles charts. I just wonder if the princesses could get into Myx, as the queens 2NE1 did. Or on RX 93.1 or on any radio station—as did BTS, Twice, and Momoland (BP got played on regional stations, nonetheless, according to one radio listener). 

Blackpink's return has been worth the wait, and it is worth applauding and rooting for. I'm convinced they have worked hard for it (and maybe that's why it's four tracks, yet almost perfect four), and they are earning the wide reception they deserve. 

They're back—on long-burning fire. And fans, both constant and new, felt it for real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Tracks of The Year: 2023

There is a segment on a radio show airing on mid-mornings on BBC Radio 2 in the United Kingdom, where for an entire week (Monday to Friday) a celebrity guest or a well-known personality shares his or her favorite songs, most of which have defined one's life and career. Hence, the title " Tracks of My Years ." I find it a very interesting concept for radio, since songs tell much of one's journey through life. And even in just a span of a year, there's much to tell about someone in songs. With that, I have thought to put a twist to the aforementioned concept and share with you those tracks that mark moments, circumstances, and sentiments throughout the soon passing year. I got many of them from my Spotify Wrapped playlist , but I also selected some within the wide range of what I discovered this year. I'm delighted to share with you "My Tracks of the Year" for 2023. (Scroll past the following Spotify playlist as we go through each track.) 1. Through T

Akalain Mo 'Yon?: Reflecting on five years at work

The last time I have written for this blog is back in 2020, early during the lockdown, and I even at that time I have lost the appetite to sustain the posts. There were a lot of things that happened since then that could have prompted me to return to this blog, but it took five years of a career as a Special Features Writer, then Assistant Editor, then Editor, to bring me back to this blog; and I'm not even sure I can return with another blog post afterwards. For this post, I share my thoughts about those five years at work, which I'm still amazed I had the patience to endure . I wrote all that I could reflect about those five years. I feel that even those aren't enough. But to anybody who's reading this, thank you for your time. — Akalain mo 'yon? That's what I say to myself in every work anniversary so far. But this time, I think I shouldn't stop with that question. It was five years ago when I started writing for a living, typing in front of a computer a

Adrian The Silent

Source: http://www.katarinaforss.com/img/silence.jpg I know it in myself. I cannot deny it. Many people, especially very close friends in high school, see me as a talkative (at the least) and engaging guy. By timing and exposure, I get to speak and talk and converse among people. Yet, many still have an impression of me as the opposite, and I don't deny that. At many circumstances, I'm silent. Quiet. Static. Loner. But, silent is the best term I'll accept. Perhaps this is one of my marks of being a writer; a mark making my desire for writing really fit to me; perhaps the reason why I'm inclined to make my voice heard through written words rather than spoken ones. But, believe me, I want to break that silence. I've already did that before, but I want to do it again. I seek to break the barriers that are still there, and have more connections while still being myself. I've recently heard and learned that it is said that there are 4 personalities in general: sangui