Skip to main content

Confessions of A Kpop Fan (3 of 3)

Images sourced from: Google Images and  YouTube pages of
Jobelle Mendoza, Si Whoo-Ree, Peenoise x Fanbois React To, and Mastermind

This is a 3-part blog. Click here for the first part. For the second part, go here.


--- 

I felt it "Bboom Bboom"
Then, the first quarter of 2018 brought in a new Kpop single: and this one later on became a fad in the country for either its dance, its music, or one of the group's members. I'm referring to the apparently one hit wonder "Bboom Bboom" by the female group Momoland. I'm convinced I got to hear it long before it became a bandwagon.

Another clickbait on YouTube led me to this song, which eventually became an LSS. The starting acoustic riff got me, which was followed by the upbeat synth brass which ignites a bright and happy mood from your ears to your heart and—I guess—your body. Regardless of being compared to that foreign song from our childhood ("Mi Mi Mi" by Serebro) "Bboom" is just great, as its video exclaims at every vocal in-betweens. Simple and 'pang-masa' as it seems, it makes a good sound to brighten one's mood, like its love-laden lyrics. 

So I just began with the music that appears enchanting, but it was just the start. And here I explain how such fascination translates to other forms. I regard this a pattern of fandom, or LSS at the least. This also happened in my listening experience with K.A.R.D.'s "Oh Na Na", but I find it fit to explain it using "Bboom".

I began with the audio, with only an image of their latest album in the video. For days I had it on repeat, hardly getting off my imaginary "Top 30" countdown. Then, came the videos. This time though, I initially did not take interest at the music video (MV), but I happened to get used to it because of reaction videos. And these reaction videos (since they showed that home shopping-inspired MV listing their names), and eventually the MV, made me familiar with those names that comprise Momoland. But I can tell you that Nancy is not my bias, and I argue that Nancy is not to blame solely for those dance covers of men passing their time by dancing to this song's chorus. Blame all the nine! Nancy is pretty and talented on her own right, but my biases are (yes, they're two) the gorgeous Yeonwoo and the charming Nayun (the one who dabs). All nine, together, are a great new talent to watch and appreciate. They have returned just recently with Fun To The World and the carrier single "Baam".

After the reaction videos came the dance covers. The dance is just cute, although I was shocked at the bridge (you know what I'm sayin'?). And again, that upbeat-ness of the song parallels the choreography as well! The chorus, the dance's highest point, makes the group move like bells on the MV. What magic there is in this trending genre! The song gets you. Then the dance. Then the group.

Then followed the drum covers. I hardly am skilled at the instrument, but I find watching drummers cover songs a good pass time. I have watched covers of other songs in the genre, so I did the same for "Bboom Bboom".  There are even guitar covers that make different renditions of the song. All these appear to translate people's appreciation of that single 3-minute track. New versions even arise: those three-dimensional versions that require headphones, those fast-paced nightcore edits, and even an instrumental that's background-music-worthy.

And eventually, getting familarized with the nine members, I happened to know more about them thanks to videos from Arirang. Their latest performances on stations KBS, SBS, or M2, have surfaced YouTube's recommendations for me. So again, clickbait.

And have I been their fan? Yes. I might call myself a Merry (finally, a name for the fanbase!). For this song alone? No. I find their earlier songs and mini-albums good. While their latest hit must have gained them many followers, I hope their other songs will get to be heard too, both early ("Jjan! Koong! Kwang!" and "Wonderful Love") and latest ones (like "Fly").

Fandom's boon and bane
When in high school I got to liking throwback music to alternative ones, in college I didn't expect I would have ears for Kpop. Never in my mind had I thought I'll "like it so much" (Twice, 2017). Yet, as a musically diverse guy, it's good to have something added to my preferences.

I also thought I would only like Kpop for the music, including it on my playlist, even dreaming it would get on contemporary hit radio. But unexpectedly I like not only the sounds, but the faces and talents as well. It amazes me how such a genre got me, from a listener to a—uhhmm—fanboy (may I say fan, simply?). I likely could not afford the concerts whenever the groups will come. But I would love it to cover them for the press, if ever I become a correspondent for print or broadcast media. Most of all, I would like to learn what I call responsible fandom, because I am supposed to be primarily a follower (not merely a fan) of Jesus.

If some of you are fans of Star Wars, or Harry Potter, or Game of Thrones; if some of you are fans of basketball stars or volleyball belles; here I am a fan of foreign groups coming from the Orient (something close to home). Writing this has made me realize that I could write about a certain kind of music (or industry) to a great extent, just like sportswriters and commentators write and talk about athletes and games (Hey, another potential career?).

I am both happy and alarmed. Happy because fandom brought me to another way of dealing with stress, which I have done through watching vlogs (aside from keeping in touch with God, of course). Moreover, it became a way for me to become closer to friends. Another common denominator has been found.

But I am also alarmed, because I might get in the level of being consumed by the media when I should be the one consuming the media. So I must regulate it. 'Kinain ng K-pop' may be a funny term, but I'm convinced that I should not let that be my status quo (because, I guess, I was consumed). I'm also alarmed that this fandom, which I find good as a form of entertainment and recreation (as much as you would root for the Cavaliers or the Warriors), may become an idol. Yes, 'idol' is already a jargon in Kpop fandom. That's what they call individual members of reigning groups nowadays. But idol must not be my term I regard for such.

I am afraid fandom might pull me away from my attention to God, who really deserves my utmost attention and devotion. This fandom may take the seat of where Jesus Christ is supposed to sit in my life. And I must not be so attached to it that I end up being attached to the world when the Scriptures say otherwise. So this fandom must be put in its rightful place.

I am also alarmed that this may also challenge my appreciation for local music, but thankfully I'm still appreciating OPM. I just feel that I must hear more local sounds to bring balance to my knowledge of both genres. It's indeed a blessing to be musically diverse—something I found out since coming-of-age.

I also find it alarming how others see performers in ways which I find odd. There are some who are into artists not because of talent or humanness, but because of their physical features. It's not bad to amaze at their beauty (while appreciating their talent, of course). But to gaze at one's posterior? I cringe. That's not a responsible way to be a fan. And I'm convinced they are not fans at all.

I hope that as much as I am a KARD fan, a Merry, and a Blink, I will also have that same level of enthusiasm in rooting for homegrown music (which grown thanks to Coke Studio PH, radio, and the Internet), and—more importantly—in speaking up for and living my faith in Jesus Christ.

I may be their fan, but I pray I will be more of  His follower, above all.

---

"Anything I put before my God is an idol"—Jimmy Needham

---

This 3-part blog post is dedicated to: Tristan, CJ, Bea, Zoe, Kat, Ton, Brix, Jillian, Ate Jae, Noreen, Cy, and Jessie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Tracks of The Year: 2023

There is a segment on a radio show airing on mid-mornings on BBC Radio 2 in the United Kingdom, where for an entire week (Monday to Friday) a celebrity guest or a well-known personality shares his or her favorite songs, most of which have defined one's life and career. Hence, the title " Tracks of My Years ." I find it a very interesting concept for radio, since songs tell much of one's journey through life. And even in just a span of a year, there's much to tell about someone in songs. With that, I have thought to put a twist to the aforementioned concept and share with you those tracks that mark moments, circumstances, and sentiments throughout the soon passing year. I got many of them from my Spotify Wrapped playlist , but I also selected some within the wide range of what I discovered this year. I'm delighted to share with you "My Tracks of the Year" for 2023. (Scroll past the following Spotify playlist as we go through each track.) 1. Through T

Akalain Mo 'Yon?: Reflecting on five years at work

The last time I have written for this blog is back in 2020, early during the lockdown, and I even at that time I have lost the appetite to sustain the posts. There were a lot of things that happened since then that could have prompted me to return to this blog, but it took five years of a career as a Special Features Writer, then Assistant Editor, then Editor, to bring me back to this blog; and I'm not even sure I can return with another blog post afterwards. For this post, I share my thoughts about those five years at work, which I'm still amazed I had the patience to endure . I wrote all that I could reflect about those five years. I feel that even those aren't enough. But to anybody who's reading this, thank you for your time. — Akalain mo 'yon? That's what I say to myself in every work anniversary so far. But this time, I think I shouldn't stop with that question. It was five years ago when I started writing for a living, typing in front of a computer a

Adrian The Silent

Source: http://www.katarinaforss.com/img/silence.jpg I know it in myself. I cannot deny it. Many people, especially very close friends in high school, see me as a talkative (at the least) and engaging guy. By timing and exposure, I get to speak and talk and converse among people. Yet, many still have an impression of me as the opposite, and I don't deny that. At many circumstances, I'm silent. Quiet. Static. Loner. But, silent is the best term I'll accept. Perhaps this is one of my marks of being a writer; a mark making my desire for writing really fit to me; perhaps the reason why I'm inclined to make my voice heard through written words rather than spoken ones. But, believe me, I want to break that silence. I've already did that before, but I want to do it again. I seek to break the barriers that are still there, and have more connections while still being myself. I've recently heard and learned that it is said that there are 4 personalities in general: sangui