Skip to main content

Dispatch from Home No. 5: More & more personal space desired


One of my many realizations from this pandemic, and the most striking among them, is that I am indeed growing up, and I need a personal space. In other words, there's a pressing need for me to have my own place to stay. I'll make it more straightforward: Soon I'll be needing to move out, and that won't likely be when I finally tie the knot with someone. 

While I've been getting along more with my parents during this quarantine, I cannot deny my realization that the house seems to be too big for three people. What once was a good place for five people and several dogs has grown out, intending to be a place just suitable for a couple in the near future. 

Really, I has been just fine for me staying in my hometown even if I work in the metropolis and commute for some hours going there and back. It saves money, and also some worries about food, internet connection, and even missing cable television. I even enjoy riding on a point-to-point bus from doing some coverage in Makati when I go home.

But the crisis and the lockdown has impressed on me a better reason to look for and invest on a personal space, with the hopes of learning to live independently better. The environment in my work-from-home experience has initially been quite hard, trying to "sift through the noise". Thankfully, I was able to manage that environment so that it becomes conducive enough for me to do work, with a laptop to borrow, a sofa seat near the TV screen, and 104.3 FM2 casting from the phone to the screen.

But aside from the benefit of a less noisy and a more focused working environment, there are much reasons for me to finally have my own space. 

To write and study with more focus
If I have my own space, I believe I will be able to write and study more with much focus. Whether I prefer silence or some background, I can focus more on whatever task I have to do, from an assignment at work to a personal project.

If I have my own space, and with a disciplined body clock, I can also get to dedicate more 'quiet time', literally a quiet one. Not only flip through the pages of the Bible and my accumulated notes, but also reading more Christian literature. 

Concentration matters much to me. That's why I prefer silence, or counter environmental 'noise' with some other sound from my phone.

I think in my own space I can also get to wake up earlier and seeing that progress myself. And if I get to wake up earlier, as I wrote on my previous blog, I don't only get to have more quiet time. Hopefully, I can get more serious to working out.

To exercise more freely
I'm an introvert, and I just think gyms are not for me (for the meantime). I also have seen myself working better on my own, albeit I still value teamwork that works. And I also want to save money as much as I could. So home exercise is my preference. 

I've been trying little exercise here at home, and I realize that I need a wider space. And I also want to remove any intimidation from anyone seeing me doing exercise, although I believe that is something I shouldn't be ashamed about. 

I believe that with a personal space I can exercise more freely at my own pace, and just on my own.

To learn more
I've hinted about this earlier, but I will expound it here. In my own space, I can stack a shelf of books, have a couch beside, have a lamp beside, then read books and make sure I finish them, while I listen to Herb Alpert or any smooth jazz or Blue Note album...or FM2.

A personal space, for me, would be a greater opportunity to learn.

I can even watch lectures, sermons, and talks more conveniently.

To finally end traffic woes
Before, I didn't mind that I have to travel for maximum of maybe two hours or more to go to office and go back home. But now, with COVID-19 causing a new normal—which might mean longer queues on the bus (because not all seats can be accommodated) and traffic on South Luzon Expressway (because of more vehicles and more cars)—there will likely be a shock in mobility when precautionary measures finally become more relaxed.

I can only dream of fast travels in our major thoroughfares. It would still be a long time before we finally get there, but at least because of the pandemic mobility of people and not just wheels will be given more priority.

So a personal space near the workplace will definitely be an advantage. I can either walk, bike (which I yearn to learn), and scoot to office or an area of coverage.

Both parties deserve it
Lastly, I believe I deserve to move out (at least on weekdays). Moreover, my parents deserve this place, which they've worked so hard for. They deserve to enjoy it without me interfering on the TV, without whatever interference or hindrance I think they have spotted in me.

I mean, when we grow up, we cannot but be our own selves. And when we have reached that, the place where we grew up might be too big already for us who were once kids who enjoyed the shelter of our home—the love and care and patience of our moms and dads.

We shall always be grateful for our parents. I do. We shall love and support them. I do. We shall give back as much as we could. I do, since my first paycheck. And perhaps I can do that better when I allow them to enjoy their lives on their own home, while I have a personal space which allows me to grow more on my own.

Now, you may think that what I'm planning is too costly. I recognize that. Let's just see. Nothing hinders anyone from dreaming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Tracks of The Year: 2023

There is a segment on a radio show airing on mid-mornings on BBC Radio 2 in the United Kingdom, where for an entire week (Monday to Friday) a celebrity guest or a well-known personality shares his or her favorite songs, most of which have defined one's life and career. Hence, the title " Tracks of My Years ." I find it a very interesting concept for radio, since songs tell much of one's journey through life. And even in just a span of a year, there's much to tell about someone in songs. With that, I have thought to put a twist to the aforementioned concept and share with you those tracks that mark moments, circumstances, and sentiments throughout the soon passing year. I got many of them from my Spotify Wrapped playlist , but I also selected some within the wide range of what I discovered this year. I'm delighted to share with you "My Tracks of the Year" for 2023. (Scroll past the following Spotify playlist as we go through each track.) 1. Through T

Akalain Mo 'Yon?: Reflecting on five years at work

The last time I have written for this blog is back in 2020, early during the lockdown, and I even at that time I have lost the appetite to sustain the posts. There were a lot of things that happened since then that could have prompted me to return to this blog, but it took five years of a career as a Special Features Writer, then Assistant Editor, then Editor, to bring me back to this blog; and I'm not even sure I can return with another blog post afterwards. For this post, I share my thoughts about those five years at work, which I'm still amazed I had the patience to endure . I wrote all that I could reflect about those five years. I feel that even those aren't enough. But to anybody who's reading this, thank you for your time. — Akalain mo 'yon? That's what I say to myself in every work anniversary so far. But this time, I think I shouldn't stop with that question. It was five years ago when I started writing for a living, typing in front of a computer a

Adrian The Silent

Source: http://www.katarinaforss.com/img/silence.jpg I know it in myself. I cannot deny it. Many people, especially very close friends in high school, see me as a talkative (at the least) and engaging guy. By timing and exposure, I get to speak and talk and converse among people. Yet, many still have an impression of me as the opposite, and I don't deny that. At many circumstances, I'm silent. Quiet. Static. Loner. But, silent is the best term I'll accept. Perhaps this is one of my marks of being a writer; a mark making my desire for writing really fit to me; perhaps the reason why I'm inclined to make my voice heard through written words rather than spoken ones. But, believe me, I want to break that silence. I've already did that before, but I want to do it again. I seek to break the barriers that are still there, and have more connections while still being myself. I've recently heard and learned that it is said that there are 4 personalities in general: sangui