Skip to main content

My Tracks of The Year: 2023


There is a segment on a radio show airing on mid-mornings on BBC Radio 2 in the United Kingdom, where for an entire week (Monday to Friday) a celebrity guest or a well-known personality shares his or her favorite songs, most of which have defined one's life and career. Hence, the title "Tracks of My Years." I find it a very interesting concept for radio, since songs tell much of one's journey through life. And even in just a span of a year, there's much to tell about someone in songs.

With that, I have thought to put a twist to the aforementioned concept and share with you those tracks that mark moments, circumstances, and sentiments throughout the soon passing year. I got many of them from my Spotify Wrapped playlist, but I also selected some within the wide range of what I discovered this year.

I'm delighted to share with you "My Tracks of the Year" for 2023.

(Scroll past the following Spotify playlist as we go through each track.)


1. Through The Wire - Kanye West


We begin with a song that has become a classic for one of hip hop's most renown artists. 2023 began with a search into the early discography of Kanye West, maybe because of getting into sample breakdowns of hip hop and RnB songs, mostly from Tracklib's YouTube channel. I specifically dug into The College Dropout and Graduation within Kanye's discography. And out of this deep dive I got so immersed into "Through The Wire," the awesomeness of its sampling of Chaka Khan's "Through The Fire" and the depth of its words, wrought from a car crash that got Kanye's jaw wired shut. But even "Through The Wire," Kanye still rapped his lines, and so a brilliant and riveting debut single was released.

"Through The Wire" got me both in what it said and how it was relayed — determination amid struggle expressed in a circumstance of struggle. As I braced for a year that I would soon realize would be very much challenging, even taxing, this song seems to be a boost for me to keep going on no matter what. Besides, I'm convinced, I'll rise through the challenges that come my way.

2. Find A Way - Ole Børud feat. Bill Champlin, Michael Omartian, Jay Graydon



Here's another upbeat track from 2023, a very amazing collaboration between Ole Børud, a great artist of the present in what is called the West Coast / Album Oriented Rock (AOR) sphere; Bill Champlin, a vocalist from the classic rock band Chicago; Jay Graydon; and Michael Omartian, musicians who have produced a lot of songs and albums for many artists. 

I've been a fan of Mr. Børud's work since discovering him in my first year at work in the newspaper, thanks again to Spotify. So, it excites me when he releases new work. This one astounded me the first time I heard it, especially that it combines what I consider some of the bests in the music industry, especially in producing the sounds that defined adult contemporary ballads.

I love to hear the classic rock sound I've loved from the 80's reborn in this track; plus the mind-blowing transitions and beats, especially the way the song completed its course; and, of course, the positive vibes it gives throughout the whole package. I even hear faith echo here, with its references to the description of biblical love (Love is patient, never failing, slow to anger). 

As much as it evoked a steady vibe, it carries a message of pressing on despite the hurdles that might push you instead to do otherwise. And often the way to do it is to find a way, or sometimes make one. That's something I would need along the journey I'm taking.

3. Magic (Extended Mix) - Kylie Minogue


2022 got me to listen more to Mariah Carey, thanks to a growing interest in RnB, as well as her touching memoir (The Meaning of Mariah Carey). This year, though, got me to dig into Kylie Minogue from the land down under yet loved by many in UK. I credit this interest to BBC Radio 2's countdown last August of listeners' favorite songs from Ms. Minogue. This song (the single edition) was the first to be played in the countdown, meaning it is way at the bottom of listeners' picks. Still, the now three-year-old track is much loved by many, including yours truly.

I heard it first, I think, in 2021, on 104.3 FM2 here on our end. Nonetheless, having liked it more (and the entire Disco album, one of the many wonders done in the midst of the pandemic) this year, I choose this as the main indicator of my greater appreciation for this artist and her vast creative work (she just released her newest album, Tension, a few months ago) that reflects her versatility.

4. Lutang - jikamarie


2023 introduced me to a lot of great songs from the local music scene, thanks to the addition of such tracks in the evolving playlist of 104.3 FM2. One of those songs I discovered is this reflective and introspective piece from jikamarie. The discovery also came in time, in the middle of the year, where I started to feel that the stream of work seems to be endless, while sensing I'm getting stressed out sailing through this stream.

I hear the song many times on the station, and I just find myself relating to it, line by line. Much more when I listened to it in the MRT, commuting back from office on a Friday night after waiting for a story for a supplement got too long I decided I better receive and edit it instead while on the road.

I realized this piece has been describing how I've turned out managing life, work day after work day. The tasks, projects, and responsibilities just pile up and drown on me, and so I yearn that the streams and piles just pause from landing on my plate. I yearn to pause, to breathe, when everything (and everybody) else makes me feel I shouldn't, or that there's no way to pause.

As I shared in my reflection on five years at work, maybe I've spread myself thin and, yes, maybe I've setting aside myself too much for the sake of other things. Such things jikamarie finely echoes in this song.

Special Mention: Nagoya Moon - The Laszlo Project



Throughout this list, there are special mentions. Maybe because I'm not content with just 10 songs, as in Radio 2's "Tracks of My Years." 😅

I got into this instrumental out of delving into the work of Laszlo (aka Aaron Wheeler) of the jazz band Lydian Collective, which I also discovered during the early years of my writing career. This particular discovery was around that a time when I took my second trip for work overseas, in Bangkok, Thailand for a food industry convention. Last year, Laszlo released a new EP, Arising, where I like the track "Just Like Home." However, listening further into The Laszlo Project, I came across this earlier tune, which finely weaves the bops of the drums, the sways of the strings and keys, and the blasts of brass. The way it unfolded got me, from how it started like a morning walk or jog until it progressed into something like sprinting, then running faster to the finish line. 

5. Where The Wild Things Are - Luke Combs


Reaching midway through the playlist, I share what I consider my entry to the wide world of country music, a genre I didn't realize I would ever appreciate and love. I remember hearing this lying in my bed after a tiring day, snoozing before I eat dinner, just wanting to pause from doing anything, lest I get sick; and this song plays on Radio 2. And so I found some comfort from hearing the pounding yet easy going beat and rhythm of this ballad from Luke Combs, who is popular for covering Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car." This song, in a way, had that touching sound that I heard from Melee's "Built To Last," Keane's "Silenced by The Night," Vertical Horizon's "Broken Over You," or Biffy Clyro's "Many of Horror."

Soon, I would listen to some of Mr. Combs' two-sided albums (another awesome concept). And, alongside following Radio 2's weekly Country Show; a weekly show on a BBC local radio station called Braithwaite's Country (which sadly ended last November); and the only country music station on Philippine radio, 99.9 Country in Baguio City (yes, such a station exists), I've become more inclined to the genre, searching and saving more country songs to my playlist (click here).

More than the usual guitar and autoharp sounds and the notable twang or accent in singing, country music puts emphasis on descriptive and deep lyrics, mirroring feelings, thoughts, and sentiments even through the simple, personal, day-to-day occurrences in life. That's what I love about this genre. 

As much as emo songs have been my solace and guilty pleasure in the second half of 2021, I found some solace in country this year; and I look forward to discovering more of it in the upcoming year. The playlist I shared above might just accumulate more discoveries soon.

6. I Remember These Moments - D'Sound


I have appreciated D'Sound for many years, having even followed their most recent releases in the early years of my career in the paper. But, I only came across this track from 2001, as old as the more popular "Talkin' Talk," just around the middle of this year.

And I guess it came so timely, as I wander through Spotify one evening, and maybe a D'Sound song among my Liked Songs was played, and I found myself hearing this track. And I came to a realization that I can hardly bear to deny, even if initially I did so. 

Perhaps the departure of someone close, whether in the workplace as a result of taking a new step in career, or among circle of friends because college is over or because of moving to another place, eventually makes one sad. But, then, you remember the moments shared, before and even recently, and those moments make you glad, making you hopeful to see that person again soon.

7. Hilo - Dani Zam


We go back to local flavor with a track from another awesome emerging artist, Dani Zam. I first heard her in a live performance of her song "Beso" on 103.5 K-Lite while going back home from fetching my Ma from the drop-off point of her service at work. I was captivated by the lyrics ("Ayaw ko nang mawala ito/Ayaw kong maisip mong hindi kita gusto") that I looked for the live stream at home. When I heard the single itself, I was amazed by the production that enveloped such awesome writing in the creative Filipino language.

Last November, Dani Zam released "Hilo," which further defines the current sound of this artist — groovy, laid back, hopefully (instead of hopelessly) romantic. More than that, it encapsulates the current climate of my feelings. Whereas before I felt so sure about what I aspire, now I'm confused. And yet, I feel this song speaks to me, literally. More than myself being confused, I'm afraid I'm the one causing the confusion.

That's why I pray for clarity next year.

Special Mention: Heaven - Cian Ducrot


I included this list among my special mentions since this is one my first discoveries from listening to BBC Radio 2. I started frequently tuning in to the station using the BBC Sounds app (try it out!) since July. This track was one of those frequently played in the station for some time, as part of the new additions to Radio 2's wide-ranged library (spanning from way back the 1960's). And so I got hooked.

There's no specific appropriation of this song to how I was in 2023, but I can say this signifies the start of Radio 2 (and BBC Sounds) becoming a part of my day, from my work, to my occasional commutes, to my numerous drives with family and on my own. 

8. Raining In Manila - Lola Amour


More than the hype it got recently, and more than the jazzy and funky sound that captivated many (including myself), it's the lyrics (as broken down by the vocalist in this video) that got me to this song.

The song checks in on those who, as one can infer, have left the singer's current place and went somewhere far, asking them how they have been; hoping that they are okay where they are; and expressing some ruing that he cannot join them in the steps they are taking, the wins they are achieving, and even the struggles they are facing; plus some tinge of hopelessness that the messages sent will not be returned with a reply, which is nonetheless fine for the singer. In a nutshell: missing them.

These past months, and even since last year, I've been feeling that way, as people I consider close to me have gone their own paths. Not that I'm not happy with them reaching new levels in career and even, let's say, finally set free and having better environments to work in. But, alongside such joy, there's also the counterpart sadness or loneliness, inevitably rising mostly at times when tasks pile up, pressures tighten, and perhaps envy creeps in.

It's been raining in my side; while I see clear skies and sunshine elsewhere, and so I know they're okay. And I'm hopeful the rains stop soon here and see brighter days where I am now, and where I'll be in the future.

More than the my top track of the year, I consider this one of the "Tracks of My Years."

9. Lumalapit - The Juans


I've been quite familiar with The Juans. I remember hearing "Panaginip" four years ago. Yet, I got closer to their sound with this track, after I watched a video shared by one of my pastors (and brother) at church of this band taking a moment in their concert to share about their faith before performing this heartfelt track (and I'm proud of them doing so).

Indeed, it does sound like something produced by a worship team. But, more than that, what I appreciate more about this song is how it brings a message wrought from faith, communicating in a more human way, without being "churchy" or "Christian-ese," that people can come as they are to God, whether to ask for forgiveness and be reconciled to Him, or, later on, to seek help out of their helplessness.

I have come to that point of helplessness, clueless with how I will deal with everything happening in front of me. Maybe that is not necessarily what this song sings about, but the main words of this piece inspires such thought.

Besides being a thought, it's also a reminder I want to heed. I guess I've not been drawing close to God enough recently. I hope next year whatever gets in the way, I deal with them — waking up earlier perhaps to commune or sneaking in moments within the day to pause.

Special Mention: Let You Break My Heart Again - Laufey


Of all the tracks here, this one is the latest pick, from one of the many artists I discovered and have appreciated this year.  Being the latest selection, the circumstance surrounding this comes fresh to mind.

I came home from a very long day, consisting of a Christmas party for the group of companies my employer belongs to at daytime, and then a long conversation with my college friend (whom I also consider a brother too) over dinner, wherein I shared that "current climate of my feelings" while he shared his thoughts and advice on that, which I revisit from time to time. 

When I finally went home in the wee hours of the morning after letting the Christmas rush traffic pass, I thought of working on some game for the church's Christmas party since I'm not sleepy; and so I did, while my mind revisited the conversation and the advice.

While working on the game on a PowerPoint file, I fancied over Laufey's NPR Tiny Concert on YouTube, and let it play on the background. Then, she sang this song. Maybe I overlooked the "coffee and leftover pie" at first listen, but what struck me the most was the chorus. At hearing the last line of the chorus, in the stillness of the moment, I suddenly teared up. Maybe it's because, more than me likely to let myself be brokenhearted, I'm afraid I might break somebody else's heart, especially when I finally have the clarity I hope for.

And I have not even made a single clear move, but I'm thinking and feeling a lot already, which is very paralyzing. The heaviness of it might have shown when I teared up in this heart-wrenching piece.

10. Out of Time - Brisom


Completing the list, on a positive note, is this track from an amazing synthwave act from the local end. This year, Brisom have brought new life to a funky classic from Kala, "Jeepney," and even that one hit wonder "Cupid" by Fifty Fifty. Yet, they have even been livelier with this latest release that, again, shows up very timely—at a time when many must be feeling they are missing out a lot in life, especially in view of where others are; or perhaps losing in the middle of life's game.

Here is a much needed motivation to refrain from giving up, to keep going and pressing on, while not rushing things and so letting things go at their own pace. Besides, there's a different timeline for everyone, and what matters is that we keep treading on our respective paths, a step at a time, as we figure out how to embrace the future as we see it unfold.

-----

If you reached this point, thank you for lending your time reading (and listening) through this list. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did writing it. 🙂 It feels good to have written here again.

Here's a Spotify playlist bringing all those tracks (and, actually, some more) together 👉 (click here)

Not on Spotify? Here's a YouTube playlist for you 👉 (click here)

Is there any track that marked your year? I'd love to know. Just give a comment (you'll find it somewhere below this post).

A blessed new year ahead to you, dear reader! 🎆🎇

Comments

  1. Love this! Great song selections Ads, which got me thinking, it seems i haven't been listening much to FM2 haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ate Haze! Thank you for the kind words! 😊 Kinig na ulit 😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts. Go ahead and comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Akalain Mo 'Yon?: Reflecting on five years at work

The last time I have written for this blog is back in 2020, early during the lockdown, and I even at that time I have lost the appetite to sustain the posts. There were a lot of things that happened since then that could have prompted me to return to this blog, but it took five years of a career as a Special Features Writer, then Assistant Editor, then Editor, to bring me back to this blog; and I'm not even sure I can return with another blog post afterwards. For this post, I share my thoughts about those five years at work, which I'm still amazed I had the patience to endure . I wrote all that I could reflect about those five years. I feel that even those aren't enough. But to anybody who's reading this, thank you for your time. — Akalain mo 'yon? That's what I say to myself in every work anniversary so far. But this time, I think I shouldn't stop with that question. It was five years ago when I started writing for a living, typing in front of a computer a

Adrian The Silent

Source: http://www.katarinaforss.com/img/silence.jpg I know it in myself. I cannot deny it. Many people, especially very close friends in high school, see me as a talkative (at the least) and engaging guy. By timing and exposure, I get to speak and talk and converse among people. Yet, many still have an impression of me as the opposite, and I don't deny that. At many circumstances, I'm silent. Quiet. Static. Loner. But, silent is the best term I'll accept. Perhaps this is one of my marks of being a writer; a mark making my desire for writing really fit to me; perhaps the reason why I'm inclined to make my voice heard through written words rather than spoken ones. But, believe me, I want to break that silence. I've already did that before, but I want to do it again. I seek to break the barriers that are still there, and have more connections while still being myself. I've recently heard and learned that it is said that there are 4 personalities in general: sangui