Skip to main content

Adrian's Mid-Year Melodies: 2024


Last year, before we welcomed the present year, I recalled 2023 in ten songs (and some more), which I labelled "My Tracks of the Year," after a well-known BBC Radio 2 fixture in weekday mornings.

And now that we have gone fairly midway through 2024, I want to share this time the songs I've enjoyed in the past months, most of which have been soundtracking all that I've been through: the small wins, the crushing setbacks, the weight of work being alleviated by music, the roller-coaster of feelings being diagnosed by lyrics.

I call this my "Mid-Year Melodies." On the Spotify/YouTube playlist there are 40 songs, but for this blog I'll highlight ten songs, with some special mentions. 

Let's get right into it.

1. The Lovers - Alexander O' Neal (1987)

After appreciating RnB/soul artist Alexander O'Neal with his classic "Criticize" during Christmas season, in January I've loved his album Hearsay, with its cool narrative of a party weaved into the tracks, and soon it was on repeat whenever I drive (and also in one commute). And, of course, the tracks, there's hardly anything skippable.

But my fave is "The Lovers," where Mr. O'Neal observes a courting couple in the party, emphasizes what makes lovers (any serious one at that) "win every time," and so sort of says — in our language — "sana all" (I wish all).

"In a world of mass confusion one thing I find,
  It seems that lovers win every time"

One more thing that makes this track special to me is that I got to request this track in the weekly soul music show from BBC Radio Essex, which has been my weekly fixture since the last quarter of last year. The host, John Leech, said in an earlier show that they will be open for requests for the It was an Easter/Resurrection Sunday show. I just tried to request, wanting to know somebody from the Philippines has been following his four-hour show. Then the Easter show came, and the request was granted! A small win I cherish. 

Also in the playlist: Sunshine


2. Falling Deep - Will Young

Now, from my freshest picks so far, this one I discovered as a frequent listener to BBC Radio 2. Pulsating beats and synths; a catchy chorus (and not 'he' in my case, just to clarify); and captivating lines sandwiched all throughout, expressing anew how it feels to fall for someone and why it does not make sense to deny it.


3. HERicane - Lucky Daye

The first half of the year also introduced me to fresh RnB music, thanks to BBC Radio 1Xtra's weekly RnB Show. One of the songs I've picked up from listening there (and also from Trevor Nelson's Rhythm Nation on Radio 2) is this track from American singer-songwriter Lucky Daye. 

I'll leave it to you to decipher what the lyrics really say (RnB, as alwayyyysss), but I really set those aside for the cool bop and a funky vibes that got me hooked here.

Also in the playlist: I Deserve It, - Tendai


Special Mention: Loneliness - Pet Shop Boys

My first of two special mentions is a fresh track that once again envelopes initially sad lines in an upbeat background.

As of this writing, one feeling I cannot deny is loneliness. It has been lingering for a long time, briefly swept away in the company of family, colleagues, church brethren, and friends.

When this fresh track from a popular act from the 80's was the repeat tune on Radio 2 earlier this year, it got me. Everyday can be considered a battle, and it's definitely a battle against several things for us. But one thing I'm sure I'm battling with (or struggling with) on a regular basis is that of loneliness. 

I don't really know why this should be a struggle for me, but I guess it's because I've been looking in sources that for me are not necessarily wrong ones, but they are those that are finite, limited; sources that will inevitably waver and wane.

Good thing the song has a call to action: "Who you gonna run to now from loneliness?... When you gonna not say no and make the answer yes?"  


4. Always on the run - ISAAK

"I can't break out when I'm free
Lost in my own identity
I'm on the run, run, run, run"

Earlier in May, when I didn't plan it ahead of time, I welcomed the world of Eurovison Song Contest, which was held then in Malmö, Sweden. It was the contest that brought ABBA to the world stage; it is also where artists like Cliff Richard and Celine Dion got to represent their countries; and it's where we got that Epic Sax Guy from.

Thanks—again—to a special programme from BBC Radio 2, I got curious about this year's competition, and I even watched the semi-final and final competitions. I woke up at around 3 a.m. on a Mother's Day morning to witness the final competition. I was amazed at most of the songs, whether one is novelty, soulful, or ballad, etc. 

I have a lot of faves from this year's contestants (including "Europapa" by Joost from the Netherlands, which unfortunately got disqualified before it got to be performed in the finals), but I will highlight here Germany's entry, "Always on the run" by ISAAK, which for me mirrors a lot of what I've been feeling about my work and my life. 

It has always been like running non-stop, and if there's a pause it's just brief, and then you go back running — it hardly stops, it never stops. I'm kind of clueless of what to do — and if there's anything I can do — and if I start doing them, will I get them done?

Also in the playlist: Europapa - Joost, One Milkali (One Blood) - Electric Fields


5. Ripe - JHart (2023)

I discovered this track in one of those nights of sweeping through Instagram stories. Upon hearing this, it was instantly a repeat as I played it on a few nights walking through the neighborhood (as a breather from work), back to back with PREP's Back To You. I always love how this fine slow dance song unfolds before the last chorus, just driving its message further in a mix of pop and soul.


6. IS IT WORTH IT - Rae Khalil

Now to another fresh soul pick. Lovely bass, reminiscent of a Michael Jackson track; followed by gentle guitar riffs and soon swaying strings. It's just awesome how the singer introspects about the worthiness of something, of someone. Hesitation finely expressed.

I've been asking the same question for some time now, for a lot of matters. Is it worth it with this amount of work? Worth it with this amount of energy? Is it worth all the little and big things I do? Is it worth continuing? Or is it worth going back to? Is it worth all the waiting? Is it really worth it?


7. Rocket Love - Elifas Sonaru

"I wish you will be here
to get all of my precious love"

We have a favorite here! I've played this repeat for days, I had it as an Instagram note for days, and I used it as a background for stories taken from my visits at the our nearest Old Town Cafe branch! 

I heard this first as a "Blue-Eyed Soul" entry of John Leech in his Sunday soul show, and it didn't take much time for me to love it. I'm also amazed that it's coming from a neighbouring country, Indonesia. They make great jazz/soul, indeed, no wonder they have the Java Jazz Festival. What also amazed me more is that according to the creator, Elifas Sonaru, the vocals are made with AI! It didn't sound like that, but regardless I love this track. 

It's another love song to love. I've been waiting for its lyrics to be officially published, but for the many times I've heard it, I can relate to the singer's desire to offer and shower love to someone, probably thinking that there's no one else to give that love to. And to describe it as "rocket love," not built in rush but carefully assembled for sometime. Yet, will all these, hangs his hope that the recipient "can feel it too" — no assurance, just crossing fingers.


Special Mention: The Lost - Zoetic

My other special mention here in this list comes from the contemporary Christian music (CCM) realm, but it is not the "usual" CCM piece from a "usual" CCM act. 

I've been loving this duo, Zoetic. With their jazzy, funky, and soulful craft, Zoetic are one of those acts that breathe new life to the said genre, the songs that are supposed to raise the spirit and uplift the soul by praising and pointing to the God who enables all these creative outputs.

As the duo shared on their Instagram, the song is made with a particular context of all the things that have been going on in the U.S. Nonetheless, the message is remains universal; and its words have touched me, from the other side of the world. 

What a way to describe how I've been. I've felt lost, yet I'm grateful I can still find myself — and there is nowhere else to find myself —  in the omnipresent, loving arms of God. He holds it all together, indeed.

"When we are without You,
we have nowhere else to go"


8. Come Back My Friend - D'Sound (2003)

"It's the heart that understands
And it's connecting me with you"

I pick this track out of listening throughout D'Sound's album Doublehearted, a copy of which my pastor and friend Kuya Mark gave me from his Hong Kong travel (thanks again Kuys!). Doublehearted has much well-loved songs from the trio, "Do I Need A Reason," "Dancing into the Moonlight," "Treasure," and "People Are People." Yet here's another fave pick from them, besides "Just Can't Wait" and the title track.

"Come Back My Friend" somehow has additions to the usual blend you expect from D'Sound, with much more guitar and synth grit heard throughout the song. And, of course, I love the words — a yearning call for someone's return, to share in one's joy that has soon been missed. It's a song that I believe anyone close can speak to me and I myself can speak to someone.

Also in the playlist: Just Can't Wait


9. Learning - Jordan Rakei

My ninth pick is from an artist I've also discovered by listening to Radio 2. New Zealand-Australian and London-based musician Jordan Rakei's craft is worth uncovering, although for now I settle for faves from his latest album, The Loop. His performances of this song from Jo Whiley's Sofa Sessions and BBC 6Music Festival are worth hearing.

Besides the smooth flow of words and rhythms in this song, the words are worth savoring, for its exploration of the worth of learning in life. Learning is indeed lifelong, and one should aspire for new learnings no matter how much he or she has already learned. I felt I need to learn, but I don't know yet where to continue learning. Maybe I even need to relearn and unlearn.

"When my knees get tired, I'm still searchin' for space right here in between the lines
For the learning"


10.  YOU GET ME - TWICE

And to complete this list, I pick from my favorite Korean pop girl group, TWICE. While "I GOT YOU" and "ONE SPARK" are the highlights of their recent comeback earlier this year, my fave from With YOU-th is "YOU GET ME." It seems to be a great follow to "I GOT YOU" and a sweet ending to the said album. 

On its own, "I GOT YOU" is an awesome song to celebrate relationships, whether romantic or platonic, like friendships. "YOU GOT ME," seems like the response to that, and yet it even takes the appreciation at a higher and even deeper level. Laced with sparkling synths and riffs, the songs carries the message even sweeter.

I'm also ending this list with a TWICE track as I've been blessed (through a raffle from a snacks brand) to see TWICE (and my bias Chaeyoung) in a fan meet last June 1. Witnessing them has been my relief from a very tiring week beforehand, when I and our team closed three sections of a newspaper, making me more sleep-deprived and more stressed. Days before that fan meet, I wasn't even sure if I'll enjoy the fan meet, and I hardly felt any excitement. But when I was finally there at the venue, I can say I'm content being in that moment, grateful for those moments as a first-time attendee of that kind of event. I don't even know if I'll ever have another chance like that, I don't even expect to afford a ticket to their next concert, and maybe other concerns of life will get in the way. But, at least, I have those moments from the fan meet (including even Chaeyoung saying "Oishi is delicious" in Filipino!) to recall and cherish. 🍭

Also in the playlist: I GOT YOU

"'Cause you get me
Oh, when I'm with you, I'm the best me
Lately, I've been feeling like everything's enough
네 곁에 있으면 (When I’m by your side)"

And there goes my "Mid-Year Melodies" for this year. I've compiled them for some time now, but I've written this with little time so I can share it with you as I welcome another year in my life. 🎂

I consider selecting the songs and writing this blog my therapy, and I'm quite afraid the writing has been much heavy to read. I still hope you enjoyed reading this and maybe discovering songs to add to your playlist. Thank you for your time! 

Here's a Spotify playlist bringing all those tracks (and much, much more) together 👉 (click here)

Not on Spotify? Here's a YouTube playlist for you 👉 (click here)

Is there any track that marked the past six months for you? Or is there anything here in the playlist you like the most? I'd love to know. Just give a comment (you'll find it somewhere below this post).

May the rest of the year be productive, favorable, and kind to us, dear reader! 🥂

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Tracks of The Year: 2023

There is a segment on a radio show airing on mid-mornings on BBC Radio 2 in the United Kingdom, where for an entire week (Monday to Friday) a celebrity guest or a well-known personality shares his or her favorite songs, most of which have defined one's life and career. Hence, the title " Tracks of My Years ." I find it a very interesting concept for radio, since songs tell much of one's journey through life. And even in just a span of a year, there's much to tell about someone in songs. With that, I have thought to put a twist to the aforementioned concept and share with you those tracks that mark moments, circumstances, and sentiments throughout the soon passing year. I got many of them from my Spotify Wrapped playlist , but I also selected some within the wide range of what I discovered this year. I'm delighted to share with you "My Tracks of the Year" for 2023. (Scroll past the following Spotify playlist as we go through each track.) 1. Through T

The Rhythms of Me

As a young boy, I'll usually get to listen to RJ 100 , an adult contemporary--that's the genre of the music they're playing--radio station in the Philippines. Also, I'll listen to songs from CDs containing mostly 80s music. And as I grew up, my interest in old school music went on. As a freshman, I listened to such stations like 99.5 RT , Magic 89.9 , 96.3 Easy Rock and 105.1 Crossover for nice old school music. I listened and searched for music from bands like Men Without Hats, Fra Lippo Lippi, V.S.T and Co., Bee Gees, Naked Eyes, Eurythmics, Industry, JoBoxers, The Go Go's, Nena, Toto, Huey Lewis and The News, Hall and Oates; and artists like Rick Astley, Phil Collins, and Michael Jackson on the Internet. But most of all, my interest for old school music grew during this recent summer and as a sophomore. As I spent my sweet summer before I went on 2nd year in high school, I learned about Tears for Fears, China Crisis,Level 42,our very own bands here like The Daw

Adrian The Silent

Source: http://www.katarinaforss.com/img/silence.jpg I know it in myself. I cannot deny it. Many people, especially very close friends in high school, see me as a talkative (at the least) and engaging guy. By timing and exposure, I get to speak and talk and converse among people. Yet, many still have an impression of me as the opposite, and I don't deny that. At many circumstances, I'm silent. Quiet. Static. Loner. But, silent is the best term I'll accept. Perhaps this is one of my marks of being a writer; a mark making my desire for writing really fit to me; perhaps the reason why I'm inclined to make my voice heard through written words rather than spoken ones. But, believe me, I want to break that silence. I've already did that before, but I want to do it again. I seek to break the barriers that are still there, and have more connections while still being myself. I've recently heard and learned that it is said that there are 4 personalities in general: sangui